Monday, March 14, 2011

Anyone Can Garden!

Photobucket


When I decided to start my own herb garden I was ecstatic, I was no longer going to be a slave to my local grocery store's herb selection (or lack there of). I would grow my own, the way thousands of people do, and have fresh herbs ready to use at the drop of the hat. Then with the help of my husband, my two boxes were made and the seeds were planted. Shortly after the frustration began.

Every day I come home from work, check on my seeds and pout around for about an hour afterward complaining about how they aren't growing! Imagine my surprise when exactly 21 days after I planted them (exactly the amount of time the seed packets had indicated by the way) I spotted sprouts! I have to say I'm in love, for someone who has never really been an avid gardener, I am in love with it! The sprouts make me so proud, they are the fruit of my labor, the sweat from my brow. I promise to never, ever complain about the horrendous amount of time it took for them to show up (wink, wink). So now I'm telling you, if I can do it, YOU can do it! My advice is to start small, don't over extend yourself and you will be reaping the rewards of gardening in no time (well actually it will take time, but you'll get over that).

A sneak peek at my sprouts...
Photobucket
Can you spot the thyme sprouts?

Photobucket
How about  now?

Photobucket
Itty bitty cilantro...

Photobucket
Tarragon!

Photobucket
Cute little oregano leaves.

Photobucket
And the ever so fast growing, long, tall, proud dill!

To be fair I have yet to see sprouts from my basil or parsley, but I can't imagine they are very far behind! Get growing everyone, it's so worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment