Saturday, January 01, 2011

Ranch Lamb Sliders with Onion Straws


Happy 2011 everyone! As I mentioned before Briana (my niece who is visiting and is also thirteen) asked me if she could plan and throw a New Year's Eve Party. She decided on a glow in the dark black lights theme, and was well on her way with shopping lists and party game ideas. When I asked her what she would be serving for dinner she said, "I don't know, finger foods?". So happily I agreed to "cater" her party, a couple days later I sent her this message in an email:

Dear Ms. Lal,

Below you will find a sample menu for your event on Friday, December 31st at the Hernandez Home. Please review the menu and make any comments or suggestions. Thank you for your business, have a nice day.

Mini-Lamb Burgers (Sliders)
Onion Straws (like onion rings but instead of round they are shaped like fries)
Potato Salad

Drinks: 
Sparkling Apple Cider
Specialty Cocktail for guests 21 and over

When she received the email she said she thought I was crazy, I thought it was cute, go figure!

Nevertheless, the menu was approved, (although I was asked to also make Turkey Sliders, and I did) and the meal itself was delicious.

Serves 4-6 
(Since I made Turkey Sliders too, I had more burgers, but this serving size is for the Lamb recipe)
You will need to combine one pound of ground lamb meat, with the following ingredients:
half of a large onion finely diced, 3 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of cumin powder, salt and  pepper to taste, dried parsley flakes, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and one large egg (beaten). 

(I also like to add in about a 1/4 cup of bread crumbs but I was fresh out)

Combine all ingredients well- here's the thing -- you can try to use a spoon but nothing really works better than your hands.

Grab about half a cup of meat and form patties with your hands. Lay them on a flat dry surface so that they retain their shape. 

The size of your patty may change depending on the size and type of bun you are using.

Heat a nonstick pan with vegetable oil, coat pan with oil and heat on medium/high.

Place patties in oil when hot and let brown evenly on medium/high heat.

Flip over and brown on opposite side. 

Remove from heat and place on a dish lined with a paper towel, to drain oil.

Set aside.

Bake your choice of bun/bread/biscuit. You can also use pre-made store bought bread to quicken things along. I used a can of flaky biscuits available at grocery stores. 

After your bread has baked and cooled, slice biscuits/buns in half to prep for sliders.

Start constructing your sliders and top with your ingredients of choice. 

Before adding the top bun onto your burger top with a teaspoonful of homemade buttermilk ranch onto the burger. 

For the Buttermilk Ranch - I used Hidden Valley Buttermilk ranch mix, combined it with half a cup of buttermilk and half a cup of sour cream for a nice taste and thicker consistency. 

Close bun and insert toothpick to keep all your ingredients together. 

For Onion Straws:
Slice an onion lengthwise, creating half circle shapes versus the classic ring.
I used 1 and a half large onions.

Dip the sliced onions in a mixture of 2 eggs and a 1/4 cup of milk and coat well.

Then, place onions in a mixture of 1 cup of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, and coat onions evenly.

Place onions in a pot of hot oil, I used vegetable oil, and fry until golden brown and crisp.

I used about 2 quarts of oil for my pan, the amount of oil used will be dependent on the pan size.

Remove from oil sprinkle with salt (to taste) and place in a dish lined with a paper towel to drain oil.

Serve your Ranch Lamb Sliders with onion straws and your choice of condiments.



No comments:

Post a Comment