Friday, January 07, 2011

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie


I made this meal today because I feel like all week I've been posting food you eat with your hands, fun food! I love fun food, but today I wanted to cook a down home, comforting meal, and well, you don't get any more down home or comforting than the classic Chicken Pot Pie. My favorite part about this recipe, I usually make enough filling to freeze for a quick and easy meal another day. My version takes about 40 minutes to prep and about 20 minutes to cook in the oven. My shortcut? the pie crust! You can find it in your local grocery store. 

Don't get me wrong, I love to bake and there are so many quick and easy pie crust recipes out there, I just don't feel like adding on an extra 30 minutes or so to my meal prep after a 8 hour work day. On a weekend, sure! After working all day, not so much. If you do want to make your own pie crust, this is my favorite recipe from one of my all time favorite women, Martha Stewart

Yields: One 9 Inch Pie, Serves about 4-6
Here are some things you will need, one box of pie crust, flour, frozen peas & carrots, one onion, 3-4 potatoes, chicken broth and one stick of butter or margarine.

First, cut three boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small cubes.

Wash your hands and cutting board after you have finished working with the chicken.

Set cubed chicken aside.

Peel three large potatoes.

Thank you to my lovely assistant for peeling the potatoes :)

Cube the potatoes and set aside.

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 425 degrees and grease the bottom and sides of your 9 inch pie dish.

Open up one of your pie crust bags and unroll the crust carefully.

These usually come in packs of two, you will need both crusts.

Lay in the bottom of the dish and flute. Set aside.

Melt one whole stick of margarine in a pan. 
While the margarine is melting finely chop half of an onion.

Add the onions to the butter and soften.

Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic and add to the pan.

Season with freshly cracked black pepper and 1 tablespoon of dried parsley flakes.
Stir to combine.

Add in one package of thawed peas and carrots, stir together and cook until tender.

Add in two heaping tablespoons of all purpose flour.
Stir rapidly to prevent heavy clumping.

Stir in 4 cups of chicken stock and loosen all clumped pieces of flour.
Stir together well.

Add in potatoes and chicken and bring to a boil.
Season with salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium/low.
I also add in a sprig of rosemary.
Remember to remove the sprig before stuffing the pie.

Cook for about 15 - minutes until sauce thickens and chicken and potatoes are almost cooked.
Stir the sauce frequently during this time in order to prevent the cream from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Spoon into your pie crust carefully, making sure to add plenty of creamy liquid.
You will have half of your pie filling left over. Let it cool and empty into Tupperware and freeze for a quick and easy meal another day.

Unroll the other pie crust and place on top of your pie, let the ends hang off of the sides of the dish.

Pull the extra hanging dough up and fold under to create a pretty "roped" design.

The finished product should look something like this...

It's not perfect but its pretty!

Cut two to three small slits in the top of the crust.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 425 degrees, until the crust is a delicious golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes.

I cut my slits too big, they should be about 1/2 inch slits not 1 1/2 inch slits, some of the creamy liquid oozed out while baking :(
What can I say? I got carried away dreaming about the deliciousness :)
Cut into traditional triangle pie pieces and serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. It tasted great ! I want more but Roxie and I ate it all :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly enough I don't think the dog ate it all! I think it might have been the owner!

    ReplyDelete