Monday, December 20, 2010

Holiday Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies


Since Thanksgiving I have made these cookies on three separate occasions, they are a holiday staple in my home and are to die for! Tonight's occasion? There is a cookie swap happening at the office tomorrow, how exciting! I cannot wait to sample other co-workers cookies. 
(As you can see I have a busy work day scheduled for tomorrow) 

If you have never participated in a cookie swap you should do so, and soon! The holiday season is the best time, in my opinion, to host one of these parties and the concept is pretty simple. The host provides empty boxes (such as Chinese take out boxes available at party stores) and something warm to drink. Ask each guest to bake their favorite cookie and bring them to the party. Then at the party give everyone a take out container and have them create a cookie box, sampling cookies from all of your guests.
I can't wait to see what exciting types of cookies wind up in my sample box tomorrow!

Yield 3 and a half dozen cookies


In a small bowl combine a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of all spice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and 2 and a half cups of flour. Mix together with a fork and set aside.


In another bowl add one stick (1/2 cup) of melted margarine and stir.


Add in 1 and 1/3 cup sugar. Whisk until well blended and creamy.


Add in two large eggs and mix together. 


Slowly add in flour while stirring to combine well. 


I switch to a wooden spoon after about 2/3 of the flour mixture is mixed so I don't wind up with a big ole' wad of goop in my whisk.


Add in one package of white chocolate chips and half a 12 oz. package of craisins (dried cranberries) and combine. 


Take a tablespoon full of batter and work with your hands into a ball.


(Jim took this picture...I really hope my hands aren't this big in real life!)

Rub a little flour on your hands to keep the batter from sticking, it will be a little sticky. 


Arrange the balls onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.

Jim took this one too...I think I'll work the camera from now on, how does a hand even bend like that? :/


Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for approximately 10 minutes.


Set on a wire rack to cool, or as you can see above, a pizza pan will work just fine :)

A couple notes about these cookies:
When they come out of the oven they should be soft to the touch and golden brown on the bottom. They will harden as they cool. Also, these cookies do not turn a lovely golden brown letting us know they are done and to please remove them from the oven. These cookies will, for the most part, remain white in color and you must keep an eye on the clock to time them.

Besides that enjoy them, they are to me, the essence of the holiday season and exactly what a holiday cookie should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment