Friday, December 17, 2010

Button Chocolate Spritz Cookies

One dough THREE types of cookies! I was only making the button chocolate ones but I had to try out my new toy!! The one thing you HAVE to have in order to make these cookies is a good ole' fashioned cookie press.

Most cookie presses are made the same way they were made back in the day, you load the dough in and crank out the cookies. On my wish list this Christmas was an electric one, I was bad. I couldn't wait until Christmas, especially when I knew I would get SO much use out of it before then! I bought it for myself! Happy early Christmas to me :) These cookies are delish! When I was done I had the button chocolate, sugar sprinkled ones, and thumbprint strawberry cookies! The dough is really easy to make I gave mine a spicy kick just for the holidays! 
And the great thing, just freeze the dough if you don't want to make all of your cookies in one day.


Yields: About 5 Dozen (dependent on cookie shape &size)



In a bowl combine 3 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon of allspice and 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.


Mix well with a fork and set aside.

In another bowl combine one large egg, 1 cup of melted butter, 1 cup of sugar & 1 teaspoon of vanilla. 


Mix well until creamy & frothy.



Stir in reserved flour mixture a little at a time until both are mixed together well, resulting in a thick dough.

Thanks Jim for taking these pictures, I definitely had my hands full!

My dough was a little too moist so I added some more flour.



Knead your dough on a flat, floured surface, add more flour if dough seems too sticky.



Split the dough into thirds. Take one third and fill your cookie press shaft. 



Press your cookie dough onto an un-greased, baking sheet. If you have a nonstick cookie sheet (like mine) use parchment paper to line your sheet. 

I ran out, but kept my fingers crossed.



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until done. 


My cookies took 10 mins. 



Meanwhile, temper some semi-sweet chocolate and fill a pastry bag with it OR MacGyver one like I did. Once your cookies have completely cooled, fill the "button" in the middle of the cookie with chocolate. Once all the cookies are filled let set in refrigerator.

Remember you can make several types of cookies with this dough and add your own flavors for taste. 
Yum! Yum! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment