Saturday, December 18, 2010

Easy Southern Fried Chicken & Fries


This recipe is one of my favorites because it's not time consuming at all! Plan to spend maybe 20 minutes in the kitchen pulling this together. It has a flavorful crispy batter and the chicken stays moist & juicy inside. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast fillet's here.
(Using the skinless chicken always makes me feel better about eating fried chicken!)
It's my grown up version of chicken tenders and fries and it's what's for dinner.

Serves  4


First whisk 2 large eggs with 1/4 of a cup of water. 


Then stir in your favorite hot sauce to taste (mild, medium, hot). The batter should turn orange.

I guess this is the only reason I use the "southern" in the title, lots of hot sauce :)


Okay here is my secret to a flavorful crispy batter that has a lot of texture. Some people use flour only, some bread crumbs only. I use both! In a shallow dish, stir together 1 cup of flour, 1/3 of a cup of bread crumbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper. 


Season your chicken on both sides with salt & pepper, garlic powder, dried parsley & cayenne pepper.
Dip your chicken into the egg mixture and drench on both sides.



Then dip the chicken into the flour mixture, flip over and repeat, coat well.


Drop into a deep fryer (or pot with hot oil) and cook. I used vegetable oil today but most professional chefs recommend peanut oil for high heat frying like this. 

(I've found that vegetable or canola oil will work just fine, who keeps peanut oil in the house 24-7?)


Fry until chicken has a nice golden brown color, about 5-7 minutes, maybe less/more depending on how hot your oil is. 


While your waiting slice potatoes length wise for french fries and fry when chicken is done.


Serve chicken with fries and whatever condiments you love.
Trust me this chicken is so delicious, if you're feeling inspired try it out and please keep me posted on how your chicken & fries came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment