Monday, February 07, 2011

To Market - To Market

Photobucket

It has been one busy, hectic weekend around here! Sunday definitely turned into the day of un-rest, we started out the morning with an early trip to Sacramento's famous under the freeway Farmer's Market. Which was followed by a trip to Home Depot, a day in the backyard pulling weeds and trimming the roses, the list goes on and on! The traditional day of rest I thought I had planned out for me, full of cooking and recipes, turned out to not go as planned, go figure! Below is a sneak peek into some of my great finds from the Market, I can't wait to cook with the season's best of the best! 

Photobucket
Here's where we entered the market from a side street entrance. For 8AM on a Sunday this place is definitely buzzing. The area is lined with local farmers who set up booths where they display and sell all they have to offer under the freeway.

Photobucket
These kiwis looked too good to pass!

Photobucket
Red, ripe and delicious. Strawberries are, and have always been my favorite!


Photobucket
I had to stop and purchase a dozen beautiful fresh eggs from Majestic Oak Farms & Gardens. The woman at the booth had a huge, bright yellow sign that had a caricature of a chicken on it and the words "From Happy Chickens". I whispered to my mom, "How do they know their chickens are happy?" jokingly, but if you knew me, you would know I'm loud and I really don't whisper well, even when I'm trying my best. The woman answered me saying "Our chickens are happy because they have never seen the inside of a cage". 'Nuff said lady, I got it! (I swear once Jim and I are done with the backyard we are getting a couple hens, there's nothing like cooking and baking with fresh eggs!)

Photobucket
These plump red beauties looked like they were bursting with fresh, hearty flavor, I love red potatoes. I love making mashed potatoes with these and leaving the skin on, for a surprise burst of color, in an otherwise sea of cream.

Photobucket
I have two "must buys", so to say, when I go to market, the first is flowers. Rows and rows of beautiful branches, flowers, and foliage. I just can't resist!

Photobucket
The second, this beautiful raisin spotted Challah bread! Baked fresh and taken to market. It's braided, it's shiny, it's soft and sweet inside..it's amazing! 

So, what to do with all of my fresh finds? I'm open for suggestions, any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment